Tonight, at 6 p.m., the Delta Township Board of Trustees will be taking public comment on and voting on whether to adopt a comprehensive non-discrimination ordinance. We are asking people to attend the meeting to show support for the ordinance. You can show support in a few different ways:
1) Wear blue – we’re coordinating so that when the trustees look out to the audience, they’ll be able to gauge support immediately.
2) Speak up! You will have three minutes to deliver public comment (see below for further guidelines on etiquette) prior to the Board’s discussion on the issue.
3) If you cannot attend tonight’s meeting, please send a personalized email to the Board members about why this Delta Township ordinance matters to you. Please be sure to stress your connection to the Township.
Etiquette and Things To Remember
Some guidelines for tonight’s meeting:
1) There will likely be members of the public in attendance tonight who do not want this ordinance to be adopted. DO NOT engage with them.
2) When delivering public comment, be sure to keep it cordial. The Board has worked incredibly hard on this issue and has been overwhelmingly supportive up to this point. We want to support them.
3) Address the Board and not the public attending the meeting. There may be some claims made tonight by opponents of this ordinance that will be difficult to hear. There will be some claims made tonight that are false or are based on tired old stereotypes. These statements are designed to provoke and indeed, their words can feel like personal attacks. They hurt. Please stay calm and speak truth to power.
4) A few talking points for tonight’s meeting:
- We applaud the Board for their hard work on this ordinance. This issue has been discussed regularly since May 13, 2013.
- This ordinance addresses and prohibits discriminatory acts and actions, it does not infringe on speech or thoughts.
- Similar non-discrimination ordinances have been passed across the state and nation and have been held constitutional.
- When you speak, share YOUR story about why passing a non-discrimination ordinance in this community specifically matters to you. “I live in Delta Township and…” “I work in Delta Township and…”
- Justice delayed is justice denied.
5) Unlike previous meetings, you will be asked to fill out a card if you wish to speak. We will try to walk you through the process of filling a card out when you arrive.
6) Please try to arrive a little early, if possible!
Again, the meeting will be held tonight, Monday, October 7 at 6 p.m. at 7710 W Saginaw Highway in Public Meeting Room A.
The agenda is available here: Delta Township Oct 7 Agenda
The ordinance is available here: Delta Township NDO October 7
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us: